Monday, October 24, 2011

The absolute nightmare

This summer I experienced one of my absolute nightmares with the dogs, something that in the back of my mind thought could happen, but I was not prepared for it there and then...

We were having a nice walk close to the river not so far away from us.. This is a really bushy area, but it is just across the river for an inhabited area. Both Maja and Stella had taking a small dip, we were all full of joy, it was a nice day, and with no people around, Maja and Stella was walking free. Stelle was quite far up ahead and really not listening to me at all, while Maja was about 30 meters to my left, running through high grass, wag wag wag wag wag, and really not very much paying attention to anything. That's our Maja, happily and easily distracted... Luckily, I was watching her right then.. Running along, wag wag wag wag..

Now there is a dog tail wagging...

Now there is nothing...

No tail, no dog.. Nothing. And all in a matter of a split second. There wasn't even much of a sound, no barking or whining or yelping, just some muffled THUD.
And after half a second of thinking "Maja, always doing something strange," two seconds of thinking nothing at all, one second of denying it, I knew:  water pipe.....

So I ran, closer and closer, and no dog, and I saw the round concrete hole, tube, about one and a half meter in diameter only when I was half a meter away from it. Good lord: how deep is it? What is down at the bottom? Water? Sewage? Rubbish? Good lord, I was scared.

Looking over the edge. Fearing the worst. And down there was Maja. What luck. No water, no sewage. Two thin steel pipes sticking up, that Maja SOMEHOW had missed. If not, it could have been lights out. And not too deep, maybe two and a half - three meters.

Oh, brave little Maja. No barking or crying until I threw myself on the ground and stretched as far as I could down into the whole. As far as I could without tipping over and going head first down myself. Off.. Then Maja started crying and climbed as high up on the concrete wall  with her front legs as she could. I just managed to get hold of the skin on her shoulders and hauled her up, dirty and shaking (both of us) but unharmed. Weird, she is 30 kilos, and I didn't think about it for a second. Dirty, but unharmed :)

And then suddenly there was another dog there. Stella had been far ahead, and right before Maja fell, I tried to call for her. Neh, no reaction. Now suddenly - maybe because Maja had been crying - she was right by my side and gave Maja a really good sniffing examination. Oh, nothing is better than a sister to support you :) Checked and reported O.K, and at once two dog tails were wagging high, as if nothing had happened, and off they went, side by side.. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment